A few days ago I did encounter a task in one of these preparation workbooks for CCIE R&S Lab which was very tricky. This task is not a hard one and does not require extensive knowledge (it can be a CCNP level question as well), but the way the question is formulated can create confusion.I would appreciate your comments on this topic.

The task states that I have a number of subnets from which the followings are important for
our issue:

The other present subnets are something like 10.7.x.x. I add this here just to see that it does not affect the result of this task.

The request is to configure a prefix-list following these rules:

– allow all subnets in 10.4.0.0
– as specific as possible, I should not allow other prefixes
– minimum number of prefix-lists

Considering the above one I did consider the following to be the correct answer:

However the proposed solution was:

Both solutions are working, nevertheless which one would be the correct one in the exam?

I asked this question on the GroupStudy List, and Maarten Vervoorn came up with a new proposal:

Also a good solution, but is the best solution? Hard to say. The advice that I got is that if you have such task in the lab exam to describe the issue to your proctor, explain all possible solution so he or she can see that you fully understand the multiple solutions and base on the answer pickup the best solution. I think this is the only way to solve this kind of questions. If you have other ideas, I would like to hear them.

Tagged on:

5 thoughts on “IP Prefix-List tricky question

• April 4, 2012 at 12:23

dont know if i am being thick, but the actual solution and the solution posted by Maarten look the same to me, is that a typo?

• April 4, 2012 at 12:37

Hello Jamie,

Thanks for info. Indeed there was a copy / paste mistake that I overlooked. Now it’s fixed.

• April 4, 2012 at 20:49

Hi,

I think the question is whether specificity is more important than number of lines or not.

To be more clear, while your prefix list only has one line, it matches 10.4.0.64/26 (if my math isn’t failing me) which is not on the list. On the other hand, Maarten’s has two lines, but doesn’t match 10.4.0.64/26, hence, it’s more specific.

The next step would be:

10.4.1.4/30
    10.4.2.0/23 ge 28 le 29
    10.4.4.0/23 ge 26 le 27
    10.4.6.128/25

which is even more restrictive (10.4.7 won’t match), but has four lines.

So, my question to the proctor would be: “What’s more important: number of lines or specificity?” :)

• April 4, 2012 at 20:52

Thanks Gabriel!

You’re 100% percent correct and this is what I wanted to point out, that in case some of the possible candidates get this kind of “grey area” questions in the exam, they should go to the proctor. Of course, you cannot go to ask if you don’t understand the question, but I guess everybody can figure this out :).

• April 5, 2012 at 08:54

Thanks for sharing. Excellent advice for those who prepare for CCIE RS exam.