As mentioned in an earlier post GNS3 is moving ahead fast. Currently at version 1.2.1 the GNS3 is looking great. Compared with the version 1.0 Beta 1 which I had installed, the 1.2.1 is not only more stable, but it has the Menu more clean and compact. For example now there is only one Preferences menu where you can adjust all your settings.

During the installation of 1.0 Beta 1 I made some notes in Evernote and it prove to be very useful as the installation was pretty messy. With 1.2.1 I did the same thing, but the installation was very smooth. Still, I said that if I made those notes maybe I should share them for those interested in a quick installation. A more complete guide can be found on GNS3 Community.

1. Download GNS3 1.2.1

Head over to, create and account and download the bundle archive for Linux.

If you for some reason you don’t want to create an account, you may download each package individually from

The following lines will assume that you have the bundle archive.

2. Install Ubuntu 14.04 dependencies

3. Unzip the bundle archive

You should see 5 packages in GNS3-1.2.1 folder:

4. Install Dynamips

To check if the correct version is install:

You should see in the output 0.2.14

5. Install GNS3 Server

To check if the GNS3 Server is installed correctly:

If you see some output other than an error, than you’re fine.

6. Install GNS3 GUI

To test if the installation is working:

You should see a graphical interface of GNS3 launched.

At this moment you have a working GNS3 environment if you want only want to test Cisco hardware emulators. I strongly recommend to continue and install also the rest of the components. Who knows when you’ll need them

7. Install IOUyap (Optional, if you will use IOU images)

To test the installation:

If you encounter an error, please check the [Update 1] section at the bottom of this article.

8. Install VPCS (Optional, if you want to use VirtualPC)

For the third line, the 64 represent 64bit, as my Ubuntu 14.04 is build on 64bit.
The values can be:
– 32 or i386 for 32bit OS
– 64 or amd64 for 64bit OS

Please be sure to use the correct one for your OS.

To test the VPCS:

You should see a Virtual PC being launched. Leave the console with letter q.

9. Install VirtualBox (Optional, if you want to launch VMs)

Download the correct version for your system from The following lines will assume an Ubuntu 14.04 64bit OS.

You can also use the instructions at and go for an APT installation.The choice is yours.

10. Install Qemu (Optional, if you want to use qemu images)

11. Install IOU (Optional, if you want to use IOU images)

I’m not a legal matter expert, and the usage of IOU is sort of grey area. Because of this, I’m not going to cover this chapter.

You’re ready to go. Start the GNS3 GUI:

Some things to check before going live:

• check in the menu Edit > Preferences to set your desired Paths (in General sections) and to check the paths for the binaries (dynamips, vpcs, iou, virtualbox…)
  • add the IOS, virtualbox vm, iou images
  • in case of Cisco hardware emulators don’t forget to find the IdlePC value (when you add the IOS image or later with the start of your first router with a certain image) otherwise your CPUs will cry.

If something does not work as described or you need help please let me know in Comments.

[Update 1]

If you get the following error during installation of iouyap:

Try to install the iniparser as follows:

and finally iouyap

Thanks to mweisel @ for this update!

20 thoughts on “GNS3 1.2.1 installation on Ubuntu 14.04

• January 11, 2015 at 22:54

Brilliant Guide, many thanks

• January 16, 2015 at 22:07

When attempting to install iouyap the following error is encountered:

GNS3-1.2.2.source/iouyap-0.95 $ make
    gcc -g -DDEBUG -Wall -c -o iouyap.o iouyap.c
    iouyap.c:40:23: fatal error: iniparser.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    make: *** [iouyap.o] Error 1

• March 15, 2015 at 13:57

Sorry for late reply. I did add an Update to the post above that seems to work if you encounter this error.
    Please try and see if it’s really working for you.

• April 3, 2015 at 21:29

Problemas al instalar VPCS, comando 32 no me lo reconoce.

Gracias de antemano.

• April 10, 2015 at 18:45

Hey mate, I am running GNS3 in Ubuntu 14.04 64 Bit. Installation success, but I cant get the Router Console out. do you know something about this?

• April 15, 2015 at 02:33

Hello Alexander, did you try to check the console port and try a direct telnet on and the console port? Does it open like this?

• April 15, 2015 at 08:38

I have same problem with same config, console not working.

• April 15, 2015 at 02:35

I’m glad that you find useful ;)

• April 23, 2015 at 16:39
    Permalink command not found

:-( made this work before new build dont know why it fails

• April 30, 2015 at 14:42

Hi Bilal,

Sorry, there is a small typo there. If you’re in the vpcs-0.6/src
      then type

./ 64
      ./ 32

I hope this will solve this issue. I did also adapt the post.

• April 30, 2015 at 07:06

Folks dont follow this article you wont find any success I waisted two days following this then tried some other guide and everything is fine now.

• April 30, 2015 at 14:34

Muhamamd, as you can see for the majority of the folks out here it did work. For me also it worked fine, otherwise I would not waste people’s time with this article.

Nevertheless, Ubuntu installation is done differently, so there might be something which is missing there. Sorry if you did feel like this was a waste of time.

• April 30, 2015 at 15:07

Hi, do you resolve your console problem ? for me it still not working

• July 5, 2015 at 22:16

Iniatianing GNS3, I have this problem:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/usr/local/bin/gns3″, line 9, in
    load_entry_point(‘gns3-gui==1.3.7′, ‘gui_scripts’, ‘gns3′)()
    File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pkg_resources/”, line 519, in load_entry_point
    return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
    File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pkg_resources/”, line 2630, in load_entry_point
    return ep.load()
    File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pkg_resources/”, line 2310, in load
    return self.resolve()
    File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pkg_resources/”, line 2316, in resolve
    module = __import__(self.module_name, fromlist=[‘__name__’], level=0)
    File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/gns3_gui-1.3.7-py3.4.egg/gns3/”, line 39, in
    File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/gns3_gui-1.3.7-py3.4.egg/gns3/”, line 32, in
    File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/gns3_gui-1.3.7-py3.4.egg/gns3/”, line 26, in
    ImportError: No module named ‘sip’

Some help please